One of the leftovers from the barn demolition is this big pile of uprooted trees, twisted metal fence, dirt, and ancient manure.
I have to cut up the twisted metal into manageable pieces before I can properly dispose of it. One of the uprooted trees had grown around, into and through the solid metal fence. I can’t suss how to separate the tough metal panels from the rock-hard wood and don’t have the right tool to cut the metal.
I have a reciprocating saw (a.k.a. Sawzall) and metal blades. Nope. Didn’t work at all. So I spent a good portion of this morning’s coffee / wake up time browsing the dreaded internet for tools to cut metal. An angle grinder seems to be the consensus choice, but I read or watched so many sources filled with warnings of the danger of such tools and what I watched or read involved cutting clean or straight metal. Nothing I found demonstrated or guided me through the cutting of twisted, thick, tough, rusty metal around which trees had grown. And I didn’t feel like using good late November daylight going to town to shop for tools which may or may not work and with which a novice like me might cut off some fingers or put out an eye or two. Not in the mood for that today.
So, what to do? Well… Do what I am capable of doing. Do something I know how to do. Do something I’m good at. Set in on fire!
I’ll cut up the metal another day.
When in doubt, set it on fire. This may be my new motto.
I had originally planned to use reclaimed barn wood to build the chicken coop, but I used most of the old, true 2″ x 4″ wood on converting the pergola into a barn swallow house and covered shelter and most of the other wood from the demolished old barn is much bigger than I need for an 8’x8’x6′ high coop.
The cost of wood is much higher than a couple years ago! A basic 8 foot 2×4 stud is $4.98 each! Add the 3/4″ plywood for the floor, 1/2″ sheathing for gabled roof, nails, screws, etc. and I’ve spent almost $500 so far. Oh well… The coop will look nicer and should be a comfy home for chickens.
I was able to use reclaimed barn siding for at least some of the coop. It will better when it’s painted.
Dylan is going to come help me attach the trusses and start on the roof today. That’s a difficult one man job.
I’m no fan of bugs, as long as they stay outside, but I kinda like this one. Looks kinda pre-historic. Can’t fly or move very fast. Need to identify it. I have a few of these in the house, too, but they seem harmless, so I’ve let them be (thus far).
I finally decided on a place to build the chicken coop. This space already has some scrubby trees, much enjoyed by sparrows and other birds with very old metal fencing around which, into and through the trees have grown over years. This must have been the pen for some sort of small animal(s) many years ago. (Maybe pigs? The metal sections of fence are deep into the ground. I don’t know.)
This spot is also about 30 feet from a well pump, so that will be handy. I have a lot of lumber and siding salvaged from the barn demo, but the the wood and timbers are massive, hard for one man to work with, and major overkill for the framing of a small 8′ x 8′ coop.
So, having used most of the salvaged 2 x 4’s on converting the pergola into a roofed barn swallow house and human shelter, I bought new wood for the coop. (2×4’s are almost $5 each! A lot more than they were just a court of years ago.)
I was able to reuse several concrete blocks salvaged from the barn to raise the floor off the ground.
Ginseng planting is done. In beautiful, unseasonably warm November weather! I sowed a pound of seed in various spots on north and east facing slopes with seemingly sufficient shade around the woods, including this steep slope, and marked the rows with flags and high visibility tape — so I can find them later!
It will be interesting to see how many plants take root come spring.